Lake Winnipesaukee Day 2

Monday, July 29, 2013
[if you missed Day 1, pop back a day to read that first]

from my private journal
08:48 pm – Lake Winnipesaukee Day 2 
Hubby and I were in New Hampshire today! 
We got off to a slow start, not getting out of the hotel until right at the 11 am check-out time.  We went over to Kitchen Cravings again.

It was very quiet there – almost like a different restaurant!  We had four-top in the middle of the room, and were very moderate in our ordering.  I had “The Trainer” breakfast – 1 egg, 1 piece of bacon, 1 sausage, 1 piece of french toast, home fries and a side of kielbasa!  Hubby enjoyed the “Beefcake” with 6 oz filet mignon, 2 eggs, home fries and a grilled English muffin.

Hubby wanted to explore an area near Andover that he’d visited with his dad many years ago, so we took off into the wilds along Route 11 through Tilton, Franklin, Wlimot, New London, Danbury, New Hampton… we saw beautiful lakes and coves around Lake Sunapee and Webster Lake, along with a lot of mountains and trees!  The weather was very odd.  For most of the day, we had sun to right of us, and sever thunderstorm clouds to the left!  We managed to stay in the sunshine most of the time.

Late lunch
We made our way along Rte 104 back to Meredith for a late lunch at the Town Docks Restaurant.  We sat on their deck on the second floor in a shady corner under a big umbrella with an amazing view of Lake Winnipesaukee!

I had my first ever cup of watermelon gazpacho!  I also ate some of Hubby’s lobster corn chowder..  We shared the corn fritters with remoulade sauce.  He had the ahi tuna.  He gave me half his corn on the cob and his watermelon slice.  I had the hot buttered lobster roll.  I ate the sweet fresh lobster claw meat but not the roll.

We were about half way through our entrees when the skies opened up with a massive thunderstorm.  The waitress led us inside and downstairs to a table inside.  We finished our food and stuck around until it was down to a drizzle then made a run for the car.  

Heading home in the hail
We set off for home at 4:15 pm but the next line of storms hit about 3 miles out of town.  I couldn’t see to drive, so I pulled over on the side of the road.  It got better, so I took off again.  Within five minutes, we were being pelted by the biggest hail I’ve ever seen!  We pulled off into the Meredith Trading post, along with about 8 other cars.  We waited for it to stop hailing, then made a dash for the post.  It was a very classy shop with leather goods, moccasins and boots, Stetson hats and then a room of very touristy kitsch!  I got a fun fridge magnet of Wolfeboro.  We made a quick pit stop at the convenience store right before Rte 93, then sailed all the way home in less than two hours! 

One last burger 
We decided to extend our vacation for a few more moments, picking up burgers from the Burger Dive at Assembly Square.  They have the wackiest “Burger Car!’

So we’re home safe and sound and amazing refreshed after 36 hours away!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *